Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We have to stop meeting like this

Hello to all...it appears it is another late night for me. After much review, I determined a major disadvantage to the use of web 2.0 tools in my school district. My students don't have email accounts and many of the free resources available...my topic this week was podcasting...require you to create an account using an email address. What frustration! For students to be able to utilize the wonderful tools that are out there, school systems would need to provide all students with email accounts. Unfortunately, many school districts have not finalized plans that ensure student use in a "safe" environment. Unless students have personal email accounts they can use, many will not be able to take advantage of these tools. There are some renegade teachers...such as myself...who will probably find a way around this until the school board can catch up with our tech savvy world. Until then, I suspect teachers will do what they can to provide or imitate the real world tech environment our students should have access to.

Anyone have any great ideas of how they have addressed this issue?

Good night for now.

AG

2 comments:

Spicher113 said...

From what I understand, the email issue for kids will soon be a non-issue. I will believe it when I see it but at least they are talking about it.

Demetri said...

I know several teachers who set up the accounts for the students by creating a series of hotmail accounts (or some other free service). The students do not actually need to have the password to the email account if the teacher registers the web2 tool account via the dummy address for each student.